29 June 2007

James Buys Clothes And Does Some Other Stuff

On Thursday we were going to go on a free walking tour on the history of downtown Manhattan but were a little late with getting ready and then didn't know how to call a cab so we just decided to go shopping (again).

We wanted to head to Barney's New York where they were having a sale on jeans, in particular, Cheap Mondays. Barney's is a very expensive store. The first item I looked at was a side bag...it was $375. No thanks. Anyway, I found what I was looking for - some cheap Cheap Mondays black skinnies for only $29. Sold.

We walked around Chelsea for a bit but didn't know much about the area and weren't coming across many decent shops so we headed back over to the east side of Manhattan to East Village. It was here I decided to have a craving for Dunkin' Donuts. I got a Lemon one for 99c. It didn't really look like a doughtnut (no hole) and was filled with some (lots of) sweet lemon sauce. I should've taken a photo. It was sickly sweet but completely fantastic sans holding my stomach for the next hour.

On the way home we stopped by ANOTHER second hand clothing store, but this one was different; I actually found some stuff I liked and went home with these for $40.


Decided to go out (finally) and bought a liter of Smirnoff for $20 beforehand. The bar we went to was called Barcade and no points for guessing that it's a cross between a Bar and Arcade. I was expecting it to be a bar with a few more gaming machines than normal but was surprised to find it filled wall-to-wall with arcade machines. I only played Mario. I'm not very good at it. Lucky it was only one quater for 4 lives.


(lots of dogs in shops and bars here - though not where food is served)

After Barcade we decided to follow some people hoping they were going to another club I knew was in the area and wanted to check out. It was called Union Pool and one of the select NYC clubs you can dance in. So we danced. Met some Asian-American guy, chatted for a while and then walked home. On the way home we came across a big budget movie filming.

Here's a dodgy photo of where the filming was taking place:


And here's some directors chairs:

There were a LOT of trailers in the area.

Edit: Okay, so I just did some very quick research and am going to assume that the movie is Synecdoche, New York (Charlie Kaufman). The movie stars Phillip Seymour Hoffman (as 'Caden') and Michelle Williams (as 'Claire') and is currently filming in New York.

Oh, and in exciting news I found some vegemite in a shop window on the walk home.