24 June 2007

Coney Island Mermaid Parade

The only time I'd heard of Coney Island before was as the on-location setting of my favourite film (Requiem for a Dream). From what I'd read it has a reputation for having a certain kind of character. I kinda wanted to check it out, and what better time than at the Coney Island Mermaid Parade.

It was a long, packed train ride out to Coney Island and when we arrived moved through the huge crowd and started snapping photos of the bizarre parade while getting sun burnt on the nose.















This guy (not in the parade) had some pretty amazing hair:


This is the 'world famous' Cyclone roller coaster. It's made of wood.

On the subway ride home we came across a pirated DVD stall:


edit: I forgot to mention that Adam Savage from Mythbusters was the King of the parade. The Queen was Patti d'Arbanville.