27 June 2007

Darren Hayes @ Canal Room

Last night I went to this much-looked-forward-to gig. It was easy to find as it was in SoHo, where we'd spent our previous day. We arrived early (8pm, still light) and thankfully so as it was a particularly early gig.

We were directed to some sweet lounge and tables on arrival with table service. I ordered a Vanilla Vodka & Ginger Ale. It cost me US$11 (inc. tip), though that wasn't so surprising. Drinks are very expensive in NYC, especially in nice venues like the Canal Room. And it was pretty schmick.

The supporting band (who I still don't know the name of) started just before we arrived. They didn't really interest me that much and had a goofy frontman, but I just sat back enjoying my drink and the air conditioning (still feeling the effects of the hot day).

Then Darren came on in his signature white suit looking schmick as usual. Three songs in I tired of the annoying industry types we were sitting with and left the lounge area for the floor. Despite being at the back I still had a great view as it was a really small venue. As expected, a similarly great show to the one I saw at Alhambra in Brisbane with some amusing between-song (and within-song) banter. It's hard for me not to love this guy.

(Darren and his 3 man band)


(Regular keyboardist, Justin Shave)


(He's quite an animated performer)

Much love and thanks to Darren for letting us go. It was great.