11 July 2007

Tortoise & Kieran Hebden/Steve Reid & Another Band

So we left the pool party early to get some rest before this much-looked-forward-to gig. Suze <3 Kieran & James <3 Tortoise. And both were keen to see the other. Webster Hall was a fantastic venue. Multiple levels of vintage elegance. The toilet bowls/basis glowed green. And there was a man sitting behind a hardwood bar IN THE TOILET selling all manner of things, but mainly candy. There was a fancy looking balcony from which to watch the band, but unfortunately, on this particular night, it was VIP-only. The first band played. I forget their name. The creative force behind the band was both singer and drummer, which was a fresh change (you know, like, Spiderbait). His music was funky, erratic and pretty fantastic, which makes me wish I knew who they were. And if I wasn't so lazy I could probably just ask Google sternly.





And then Hebden and Reid played. This was also pretty great, but undoutbedly my favourite part was Steve Reid's drumming. Steve's a 63 year old American Jazz drummer who's played with some great names and has a hell of a lot of energy for an old man. The way played was just mesmerizing. And it's made me more bitter about the fact that I've spent a month in NYC and haven't seen any Jazz.



And then Tortoise came out. They played for a very, very long time. I've only heard one album of theirs (TNT) and they played plenty off it and the rest of their sit was completely enjoyable. Just a fantastic gig from some competent (middle-age) muscians.





A most satisfying show.