19 April 2008

Freecycle; Or My New Panasonic Hifi

When we moved into our house (which yes, I haven't blogged about yet, I'm getting there) a friend of a flatmate suggested we sign up to freecycle.org to help fill our vacant house with useful things like toasters and kettles that we otherwise couldn't (didn't want to) afford.

The concept is simple. Electronic groups of people form according to location (through Yahoo! groups) and when someone has something to give away, they send out an email to the rest, receive a ridiculous number of replies and then select a lucky person to pick up the good. And I absolutely adore the idea. If only I knew about Brisbane's happening Freecycle group when I had my whole bedroom's contents of very useful stuff to give away before I moved to London.

I've been signed up to Freecycle for a while now but just last Wednesday night while in a nightclub in Soho (yes, I check my emails too often) someone sent out an email offering a whole heap of stuff that included a Panasonic hifi system. Since I'd been intending to buy some sort of speakers to remove the pain of listening to music over laptop speakers I gave it a shot and sent and email off (yes, while still in the nightlub).

Next morning, a happy phonecall, a trip to (and from) an adjoining suburb on the bus and I have my new toy. And I've ordered a stereo to rca cable from ebay for 2 pounds so i can hook my iPod up to it for extra happy!


Right now I'm listening to Virgin Party Classics (AM) and it's probably the best station I've heard. Thanks Freecycle!

freecycle.org