30 May 2007

Carbon Offsetting

A few weeks ago while at STA Travel, I picked up a small brochure advertising carbon offsetting for travel. For those unaware, Carbon Offsetting is the concept of calculating the carbon expenditure of an activity or process and then contributing enough money towards a carbon reduction scheme to neutralise the emission.

Given that I was already uncomfortable with the negative effect my holiday was going to have on the environment, I was really interested in the idea. The travel agent this morning informed me that it would cost $180 (equivalent to approximately 5 tonne of gas) - more than expected, but I bit the bullet without too much thought.

The idea of individuals being responsible for (and neutralising) the greenhouse gas they directly or indirectly produce is one I strongly support. Anyone who can afford a holiday, can also afford to offset it. According to the last explanatory step on the carbon offsetting process:

5. You feel bloody fantastic because you've made a positive change to the environment.

But I don't, because I haven't. I've just stopped feeling uneasy about the fact that my beloved holiday, that I can afford because I am fortunate, isn't further destroying the environment.

More info.