17 April 2007

Wilco Tastes A Little Sweeter

Last night I moped out of my room after having one of those i-just-got-hit-by-a-truck afternoon sleeps and feeling like death when my housemate looked up from his phone and cryptically asked me: 'How much would you pay to see Wilco?' (the gig was that night, and they were leaving almost immediately). After I returned a severely pained expression he divulged that a friend wanted to sell a ticket for half price ($40).

Without answering I had a cold shower, dressed myself, stuffed my mouth with pea and ham soup on toast (all in about 3 minutes) and then announced that I was going.

Sublime decision, James. The gig was fantastic! Due to being in the company of mindless fanbois and fangirls I found myself one-off the barrier in a beautifully air-conditioned Tivoli watching one of the best live shows I've ever seen.

And while this most definitely takes away the bitter taste left after my Hammerstein disappointment, it makes me even more excited at the prospect of a second NYC gig.