05 May 2008

Weekly Update

I was a busy boy last week. So busy that I even forked out for a weekly travel card!

Since Monday I:
  • Bought a suit
  • Had it altered
  • Had my hair cut
  • Went to Swedish School
  • Went to my first interview
  • Went out for a goodbye dinner
  • Went to my second interview
  • Went to popjustice
  • Went for a friend's visa celebration
  • Spent a weather-prefect day starring out my window
  • Did London things on a public holiday

So finally I bit the bullet and bought the suit. Half price thanks to Peter's staff discount (but still cringingly expensive!). Suit + Shirt + Shoes + Belt + 2 x Tie = 350 pounds after the discount.

After purchase we took it to the alterers so I could be all pinned up for a perfect fit. Peter also happened to be friends with the alterer so he did a whole lot more altering than I paid for.

Hair cut was a spur-of-the-moment thing. It was rather neccessary due to the interviews. I toyed with the idea of going to the Toni and Guy academy for 5 pounds but didn't want to risk it. I settled for some chic salon in Soho and while I wasn't very happy when I left, it's a good haircut, just a fair bit shorter than I wanted. And ya'll know how attached I can get to my locks.

Swedish school is still going. I think next week will be half way. I'm really enjoying it and definitely getting better. There's still a LOT to learn/practice though.

My first interview (at Data Connection) was 1pm on Thursday. I arrived way too early (because I wanted to be on the safe side) and found myself in a small suburb where nothing opened until 12pm. The area was quite nice though and I'm pretty sure I met a leprechaun. The interview process was quite gruelling. A short presentation on the company followed by 3 aptitude tests (just like IQ tests) and 4 problem solvings tests over about 2 and a half hours. There was a postgrad and a summer intern interviewing as well. After all the tests there was a one on one interview where the problem solving answers were discussed along with general questions. While I wasn't that happy with my answers the rest of the interview went swimmingly. I decided that I really wanted the job and found myself home in just 20 minutes! AMAZING!

Dinner that night was to say good bye to Ratty who'd been on-and-off staying with us for a month. We went to a pub called the Salisbury (right near where I lived for my first month in London). I ordered a vege burger and didn't eat it all :(

Next day was my second interview (Imagination Technologies). I once again arrived way too early (actually, eariler this time) and was once again in a fairly uninspiring part of outer-London. The highlight was finding the now-defunct Ovaltine headquarters. This interview was more orthodox. I was interviewed by three different managers (each of whom was interested in hiring me for their respective departments). Questions ranged from 'Do you intend on staying here longer than a year?' through 'What's your ideal job?' to a whole heap of problem-solving and lateral thinking questions. I was quite satisfied with how I went and it seemed they were two. At the end one of the managers told me he'd be very suprised if I didn't hear a positive response early the following week. That felt good! The work they do is really interested so I'd be happy to work there.

That night Charissa, Peter and I went to a Club PopJustice in Soho. It was quite a lot of fun dancing to pop until about 2.30am before unsuccessfully chasing the N29 down Charing Cross Rd.

Saturday night was drinks to celebrate a friend's unexpected visa approval. Meaning she doesn't have to go home anymore. I didn't drink any alcohol but found a new love in pints of post-mix cola (no ice).

Sunday the weather was amazing; no sun but a beautfiul 21 all day. It's a amazingly green outside and full of chirping birds. I had a deep afternap half hanging out my window.

And then today Laura, Mon and I went to Brick Lane where I had a bad cream-cheese bagel and a good barbecued corn cob. And then Green park where I relaxed in the shadey grass and had a look at Buckingham Palace. The palace is big but not that great to look at. And the guards reminded me of a bad Movie World entertainment show. Nice gardens though. The day finished with a stroll round the extravagant Harrods.

Tomorrow I should hear back about both jobs (nervous!) and have a phone interview for Codian and Tandberg. Right now I'm really tired and want to sleep.