23 May 2008

Two Gigs and Lots of Job Hunting Stress

About a week ago Charissa and I went to see Ladytron at Astoria. It always amazes me how different gigs are here. Firstly (and unsurprisingly) in the number of people for such a size band. And secondly the diversity; I just struggle to fathom what brings all the middle-age conservative-looking men to these gigs. Unlike the one at Bjork, I spotted one in the Ladytron audience who actually looked like he was kinda enjoying the music too!

Anyway, Ladytron were okay, nothing special, but then 50mins into their set they lost power and 20 mins later we were told the show was over which was followed by much booing and then cheering when it was announced that a replacement show would be scheduled and all tickets for that night's show would be honoured. Nice.

Last night I saw Atlas Sounds (Bradford Cox from Deerhunter) and Animal Collective at Koko's. Firstly, Koko's is an AMAZING venue with so many levels (like 6 or 7?) and little nooks and crannies it's like a game to point at a certain spot and then figure out how to get there. What was not-so-pleasing about the gig was the crowd. The teeny boppers (I hate that term but it's neccessary here) infront of us were most-annoying and WTF possessed the crowd to barge and push each other around during an Animal Collective gig? I spent most of the time thinking how much better the gig would have been at The Zoo.

And throughout all this and since the last blog I've been job hunting. More optimism, high hopes, interviews and disappointment. Job hunting is one of the most emotionally stressful activities I've partaken in. Anyway, my agent (hah, I sound like a celebrity) is in negotiations with the company who offered me a job two weeks ago. So feeling optimistic about what will come of that :)