05 February 2008

Fat Tuesday

I just finished eating an apple and cream-filled cardamon bun called 'Semla'. Oh, whoops, that didn't come out right. I haven't taken to naming my food before I eat it, that's the Swedish word for the food. Anyway, it was pretty great. They were being sold on the street as part of an event called 'Fat Tuesday' which after a while my super-detective skills figured out is in fact the Swedish equivalent of Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Tuesday. It is not much of a religious event here, though.

So I arrived in Göteborg today and met a friend at the airport who drove me to Slottsskogen's Vamdrarhem (backpacker's) and then showed me around the city. It is typical English weather here at the moment (infact, more so than London), but I don't mind. Unfortunately there's no sign or expectation of snow. They have trams here, I like trams. And we had to press a button and get a ticket number and queue (there was no queue) to buy the tram pass. Pressing buttons to get numbered tickets and queuing (like at a supermarket deli) is a common Swedish past time (so I've read) and so this was a little exciting.

After being shown around the city my friend took me out to dinner at a Thai restaurant and that was delicious (paneng tofu curry). Thai always wins! I went back to the vandrarhem, met and chatted with two Swedish mature-age students in the room and soon after went to sleep. I was exhausted (again!) and this was the first comfortable bed I've had since leaving Australia, and thus I didn't get out until 1.15pm!!!