30 March 2007

Planning Report

I've always thought planning a holiday would be ridiculously complicated and a lot of hard work. I'm not sure why, probably because old people always make it seem so. Having tried to do it myself, I've found it can be done in 3 simple, easy-to-follow steps:

1. Flights
2. Accommodation
3. Travel Insurance
Disclaimer: You'll have to add in '4. Passport' if you haven't one already. I do.

I'm at step 2. Suze and I went to a few travel agents in the CBD, skipped the ones with long line-ups, the ones with travel agents we didn't like ( i.e. faux-blondes with fake nails), and out of the remaining two, chose the one that was $400 cheaper, coz we're totz thrifty like that. One hefty bpay transfer later and we have a pretty little schedule:

15/06/07
06:30 : Depart Brisbane

08:00 : Arrive Sydney

09:45 : Depart Sydney
06:05 : Arrive Los Angeles*

09:05 : Depart Los Angeles
17:20 : Arrive New York

*check the shit out, arrive before we leave!
________________________________________

18/07/07
19:10 : Depart New York
22:10 : Arrive Los Angeles

________________________________________

21/07/07
23:20 : Depart Los Angeles

23/07/07
06:05 : Arrive Brisbane


So now that's done, we're working on accommodation. Originally we were hoping to get a dodgy two-bed hostel room for about US$100/night. Turns out apartments are five times as good and half the price. We had our eye on a one bedroom apartment (a whole apartment!) in East Village (see map) for US$50/night, but that didn't eventuate. Currently waiting to hear back about some rooms (share apartments) in the same suburb. I kinda like the idea of staying with someone else, a local. I'm a fan of locals.